- Read the manuscript and start thinking seriously about what is going on in the paper. This step may take all morning.
- Step away from the task to get my unconscious thinking seriously about the issues.
- Read the manuscript really carefully, with a file open making notes/comments for the report.
- First pass write of the first part of the report–the paper summary and my overall comments on the paper.
- Edit my notes into a numbered list of specific comments.
- Edit the overall report.
- Write the recommendation letter and submit the report.
The entire thing takes me two days or so. Too long, I suspect, given how long my refereeing queue is.
I am not dead, but life–at work and away from work–has been a bit overwhelming over the last few months. But things have settled down again.