- I read a lot of papers with the words ‘due to.’ I always want to strike that out and replace it with ‘because of.’
- With undergraduate papers, wide margins and big fonts are the norm. With bad papers, thin margins and tiny fonts are the norm, though thin and tiny are relative here.
- ‘Therefore’ and ‘thus’ are overused. Also ‘Note that.’
- I tend to write in a boring and monotone way. All my sentences are the same length. Unless I am very careful.
- I am nervous of ‘track changes.’
- I now wish that I had needed to do more writing in high school, college, and graduate school.